Monday, April 28, 2008

Bola Sete - Bola 7 e 4 Trombones (1958)

This post is the start of a series of other absolutely amazing posts, all part of an incredible contribution made by a tireless and respectful friend, with several years of contribution to Brazilian music (I think I spoke a lot!). From now one, we will get along with truly breathtaking music. Everything happened this Sunday and I confess that I'm still paralyzed with the amount of unbelievable albums I knew today.

I was like a child this afternoon, leaving everything aside and listening to records that never imagined could exist. This is the reason of a bit of suspense across this Monday, I did not have time to prepare a properly introduction to the author of this series of contributions. I would like to show at least the tip of the iceberg today with an album that I was hunting for many years, which is better than my most optimistic expectations. Let's see.

This is Bola Sete - Bola 7 e 4 Trombones (1958), for Odeon, the first Bola Sete album from the 50's at Loronix, recorded before he made his move to the United States. Bola Sete delivers guitar playing with four trombones, drums and percussion on a truly amazing session. There are lots of funs inside this album, you can check at Loronix Preview Center what I'm saying, with Bola Sete playing a fantastic rendition of Eu Quero um Samba (Guio de Moraes), I'm confident that 10 seconds of listening should be enough to make your decision. It is really amazing to hear an early work of Bola Sete for the first time. Unfortunately, Odeon did not credit the four trombonists, as all others. Tracks include:

01 - Não Vou Pra Brasília (Billy Blanco)
02 - Mambeando (Bola Sete)
03 - Mister Jimmy (Bola Sete)
04 - The Man I Love (Ira Gershwin / George Gershwin)
05 - Intrigas no Boteco do Padilha (Luis Americano)
06 - Foi Você (Oscar Bellandi / Paulo Gesta)
07 - Eu Quero Um Samba (Guio de Morais)
08 - Calypsilone (Bola Sete)
09 - Pitéuzinho (Bola Sete)
10 - Jersey Bounce (Pister / Bradshaw / Johnson / Wright)
11 - Manãna (D. Barbour / P. Lee)
12 - Ouça (Maysa) Do-ré-mi (Fernando César / Nazareno de Brito) Maria (Ary Barroso / Luis Peixoto)