Thursday, October 18, 2007

Turma da Gafieira - Samba em HIFI (1957)

Do not let this cover cheats you, this is a really nice cover, but it don't gives a hint of the music we have inside. I think this is the reason for being listed by R$ 3 at a vinyl store. When I saw the cover and read the album title, I took some minutes to make the right association with the first issue of Samba em HI-FI from Turma da Gafieira, a incredible band of great musicians that recorded only two albums in the late 50's.

This is Turma da Gafieira - Samba em HI-FI (1957), for Musidisc. I never thought about reposting this album and I could only believe it was possible when I arrived home and put it for a first spin. The media is perfect and I could not identify the correct date of this reissue. If I were in charge of it, I would make a different cover, keeping the nice girl and highlighting the musicians. Tracks include:

Personnel

Altamiro Carrilho
(flute)
Ze Bodega
(sax tenor)
Maestro Cipo
(sax tenor)
Raul de Souza "Raulzinho"
(trombone)
Baden Powell
(guitar)
Sivuca
(accordion)
Jose Marinho
(bass)
Edison Machado
(drums)

Track List

01 - Vai Com Jeito (João de Barro)
02 - Não Diga Não (Tito Madi / Georges Henry)
03 - Jarro da Saudade (Daniel Barbosa / Mirabeau / Geraldo Blota)
04 - Por Hoje É Só (Altamiro Carrilho)
05 - Vagabundo (Wilson Batista / Jorge Castro)
06 - Rosa Morena (Dorival Caymmi)
07 - Saudades da Bahia (Dorival Caymmi)
08 - Conceição (Jair Amorim)
09 - Tumba-lê-lê (Francisco Neto / Nilton Neves / Jarbas Reis)
10 - Foi a Noite (Tom Jobim / Newton Mendonça)
11 - Intenção (Onde Está Você) (Tufic Lauar / Nelson de Morais / Alcides Evangelista de Mendonça)
12 - Maracangalha (Dorival Caymmi)