Friday, April 27, 2007

Moacyr Marques e Seu Conjunto - Jazz & Bossa Nova

I think this post is special; it is the start of a series of two records of a great importance to Brazilian instrumental music. I did not research to understand why they are important; I'm dropping my own opinion this time and part of Caetano's opinion, since we have been talking about both albums for a couple of days. The first is from an artist that is still active and even keep and maintain a website with very complete information on his career, recordings, participation and projects. I've been there for a while before writing these lines and I invite you to visit Moacyr Marques website, also known as Bijou at http://www.mmbijou.com.br.

This is Moacyr Marques e Seu Conjunto - Jazz & Bossa Nova (uncertain), for Tiger. This is the first Moacyr Marques album and also an instrumental music masterpiece. The title is really honest and appropriate, Jazz & Bossa Nova. What amazes me most is recording date, I think it was recorded between the 1959 and 1960. Jazz & Bossa nova also features Zequinha (piano), Arthur Barbosa (bass) and the legendary Wilson das Neves (drums).

This is a really hard to find album and Caetano is a lucky guy to have it, but the vinyl was not on a good shape, really scratch. I'm making available this time an alternative at Flac format with no tracks separation, no noise reduction and also no Rapidshare. If someone skilled on noise reduction can make it better than I did, I will appreciate a lot. You can download and try this looseless alternative, here (185Mb). Tracks include:

Personnel

Moacyr Marques "Bijou"
(clarone, sax tenor)
Zequinha
(piano)
Artur Barbosa
(bass)
Wilson das Neves
(drums)

Track List

01 - Taking a Chance On Love (V. Duke / J. Latouche / T. Fetter)
02 - Silk Stop (João Donato)
03 - My Fanny Valentine (R. Rodgers / L. Hart)
04 - Anniversary Theme (José Marinho)
05 - Lullaby Of Birdland (G. Shearing)
06 - Calipso In Brazil (Moacir Marques "Bijú")
07 - Teleco Teco Nº 2 (Nelsinho / Oldemar Magalhães)
08 - A Saudade Não Foi Leal (Norival Reis / Jorge Duarte)
09 - Samba Feliz (Roberto Martins / Osvaldo Santiago)
10 - Real Conclusao (Artur Barbosa)
11 - Gin-kana (Emílio Batista / Ruy Rey)
12 - Idéias Erradas (Dolores Duran / Ribamar)