Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sergio Abreu & Eduardo Abreu - Os Violoes de Sergio e Eduardo Abreu (1971)

Hello, good evening! I’m asking myself why I did not make this post earlier. Several friends were asking for this album and I could understand why a couple of weeks ago when I took it for a spin. This duo is really magical, sublime and absolutely outstanding. The brothers Sergio and Eduardo Abreu were active during the 60’s and the early 70’s and they are considered by many the most amazing classical guitar ensemble ever. Just Google and you will understand. Decades were passed and they still have international acknowledgment. My apologies to everybody who asked for a Duo Abreu career album. Let’s see.

This is Sergio Abreu & Eduardo Abreu – Os Violoes de Sergio e Eduardo Abreu (1971), for Columbia. I never heard about a CD reissue of this album or any other Duo Abreu record. In the other hand, the Internet has plenty information about their music and I would like to recommend one of the best resources I found about Duo Abreu and Brazilian violão as well, which is the website owned and maintained by Fabio Zanon, a Brazilian musician that lead an anthological series of 26 radio programs called “A Arte do Violao”, mandatory for musicians and everybody who appreciates this wonderful instrument. I think the brothers Sergio and Eduardo Abreu are auto explanatory, I could stay here writing pages of text about their music, but is better let you with Duo Abreu. Have a good night and a solid start of another week. Tracks include:

01 - Anon | Drewries Accordes
02 - Anon | O Rouxinol
03 - Telemann | Canon (Transcr. Sergio Abreu)
04 - D. Scarlatti | K. 9 (L. 413) Pastorale (Transcr. Pujol)
05 - J.S. Bach | Prelude 3 (Vol. 1 from The Well Tempered Clavier - transcription Sergio Abreu)
06 - Scheidler | Sonata in D - I Allegro (Edited by Karl Scheitt)
07 - Scheidler | Sonata em D - II Romanze (Edited by Karl Scheitt)
08 - Sheidler | Sonata em D - III Rondo/Allegro (Edited by Karl Scheitt)
09 - F. Sor | Theme and Variations
10 - Granados | Intermezzo (from Goyescas - transcription Pujol)
11 - Rodrigo | Tonadilla - I Allegro ma non troppo/ II Minueto Pomposo
12 - Rodrigo | Tonadilla - III Allegro Vivace
13 - Albeniz | Evocacion (from Suite Iberia - Transcription Sergio Abreu)
14 - Falla | Danza Espa ola (from La Vida Breve - Transcription Pujol)