Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jorge Ben - Alô, Alô, Como Vai? (1980)

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink, I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink. I wonder should I get up and fix myself with Loronix... Sorry for referencing this Beatles song, but I woke up today with this song in my head and I'm really tired, tired and very happy with everything that happened on this wonderful Wednesday. I decided to start today by the last and post, just to guarantee his release, I'm not sure if I will make it until the end today.

Let's talk a little bit about Jorge Ben, one of the most requested artists by Loronixers and a true Brazilian pop music legend, acclaimed by several respectful reviewers. In the other hand, this is only the third album recorded by Jorge Ben made available to Loronixers. Such like Chico Buarque, Jorge Ben has most of his big discography already available commercially and this album is a real find, perhaps widely unknown by Loronixers, specially the friends who lives outside of Brazil. Let's see.

This is Jorge Ben - Alô, Alô, Como Vai? (1980), for Som Livre. I read today that Alô, Alô, Como Vai? was recorded in Argentina, but liner notes confirms the recording session at Sigla Studios, Rio de Janeiro. Perhaps the Argentinean plane that Jorge Ben is taking, or pretending to take, is the reason of these "rumors". Jorge Ben delivers infectious Samba flavored funky cuts with arrangements in charge of the acclaimed duo Robson Jorge and Lincoln Olivetti. My highlights goes to the album title track 02 - Alô, Alô, Como Vai? and Jorge Ben homage to the great Caetano Veloso, 06 - Cae Cae Caetano. I hope you have a very solid listen with this Loronix all time favorite. Tracks include:

Personnel

Lincoln Olivetti
(arrrangements, keyboards)
Robson Jorge
(keyboard)
Jorge Ben
(voice, guitar)
Jamil Joanes
(bass)
Mamao
(drums)
Paulinho Braga
(drums at Solitario Surfista)
Chacal, Ariovaldo, Peninha, Renato, Nenem
(percussion)
Oberdan, Jose Carlos, Leo Gandelman
(sax)
Marcio Montarroyos, Bidinho
(trumpet)
Serginho
(trombone)

Track List

01 - A Cegonha Me Deixou Em Madureira (Jorge Ben / Augusto de Agosto)
02 - Alô Alô Como Vai (Jorge Ben)
03 - Georgia e Jorge (Jorge Ben) with Lucinha Lins
04 - Solitário Surfista (Jorge Ben)
05 - Ma Ma Ma Ma Mãe (A Língua dos Anjos) (Jorge Ben)
06 - Cae Cae Caetano (Jorge Ben)
07 - Lady Benedicta (Jorge Ben)
08 - Mona Lisa Mona Lisa (Ciúmes de Leonardo) (Jorge Ben)
09 - Olha a Pipa (Jorge Ben)