Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Caetano Veloso - Qualquer Coisa (1975)

I thought I could show and review this album without saying I'm a big fan of Caetano Veloso. So I decided to be open and honest with you, I'm a big fan of Caetano Veloso and this album is definitively one of his best releases in the 70's. I could realize how great it is after spinning today after many years. Qualquer Coisa was recorded in the same session of Joia (Caetano Veloso masterpiece) and were released simultaneously, so we should take this one as the continuation of Joia. Let's see.

This is Caetano Veloso - Qualquer Coisa (1975), for Philips, featuring the piano of Joao Donato and Quarteto em Cy as special guest on track 07 - Jorge de Capadocia. I had the chance to listen to this album as soon it was released with the age of ten, being very important for me, Caetano Veloso renditions of three The Beatles tunes available on Side B, were my first contact with The Beatles music. I read several reviews saying these three cuts spoils this album, but I like them very much as I like the whole experience provided by Caetano Veloso with Qualquer Coisa, which is an album that you will spin several times. Tracks include:


Personnel

Caetano Veloso
(voice, violao)
Joao Donato
(piano)
Perinho Albuquerque
(violao, piano, arrangements)
Sergio Barroso
(bass)
Eneas Costa
(drums)
Djalma Correa
(percussion)
Perna Froes
(strings arrangements)
Frederiko
(violao)
Fernando Leporace
(bass)
Hermes Contesini
(percussion)
Quarteto em Cy
(vocals at Jorge da Capadocia)
Moacyr Albuquerque
(bass)
Tuze Abreu
(flute)
Bira da Silva
(percussion)
Tuty Moreno
(percussion)
Arnaldo Brandao
(bass)

Track List

01 - Qualquer Coisa (Caetano Veloso)
02 - Da Maior Importância (Caetano Veloso)
03 - Samba e Amor (Chico Buarque)
04 - Madrugada e Amor (José Messias)
05 - A Tua Presença Morena (Caetano Veloso)
06 - Drume Negrinha (Drume Negrita) (E. Grenet / Vrs. Caetano Veloso)
07 - Jorge de Capadócia (Jorge Ben) with Quarteto em Cy
08 - Eleanor Rigby (John Lennon / Paul McCartney)
09 - For no One (John Lennon / Paul McCartney)
10 - Lady Madonna (John Lennon / Paul McCartney)
11 - La Flor de La Canela (Chabuca Granda)
12 - Nicinha (Caetano Veloso)