Saturday, September 15, 2007

Orquestra de Lyrio Panicali - Nova Dimensao (1964)

I've been thinking a lot on the right approach to this post. This record is probably among the top five albums available at this website and I feel in the obligation to be straightforward, making sure you do not skip this one. Unfortunately, there are some pitfalls that can cheat you and we need to avoid, such as:

1) Do not take it as another orchestra album.
2) Do not take it as another orchestra album with Bossa Nova standards.
3) Do not think I'm crazy, everyone who listens agrees with me.

This is Orquestra de Lyrio Panicali - Nova Dimensao (1964), for Odeon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I will file Nova Dimensao as Samba Jazz, instead of Orchestra. This is truly in the Samba Jazz style with a drummer playing such like Edison Machado, Milton Banana or any other drummer of instrumental trios from the 60's. Anyway, I think I could write several paragraphs of text covering each different and unique aspect of this album, but I will let you go for your weekend with the very good company of this legendary album. Have a nice weekend. Tracks include:

01 - Lágrima Flor (Billy Blanco)
02 - Carnaval Triste (Sergio Carvalho / Paulo Bruce)
03 - Consolação (Baden Powell / Vinicius de Moraes)
04 - Vou Andar Por Aí (Newton Chaves)
05 - Deus Brasileiro (Marcos Valle / Paulo Sergio Valle)
06 - Desafinado (Tom Jobim / Newton Mendonça)
07 - Lobo Bobo (Carlos Lyra / Ronaldo Bôscoli)
08 - Nanã (Moacir Santos / Mário Telles)
09 - Balanço Zona Sul (Tito Madi)
10 - Labareda (Vinicius de Moraes / Baden Powell)
11 - Batida Diferente (Durval Ferreira / Maurício Einhorn)
12 - Garota de Ipanema (Tom Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes)